approximately 25 km (San Marco in Lamis - convent of S. Matteo)
The first stage of the route travelled by pilgrims coming from the northern part of the Puglia plain was the Valley of San Marco in Lamis, along the sacred route of the Longobards through the small village of Stignano, where the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Stignano was built in the 16th century. Today it is still one of the most important Marian sanctuaries of the Capitanata area.
We leave Stignano following the valley until we reach S. Marco in Lamis, and from here go up to the Sanctuary of the Convent of S. Matteo, a monastic settlement built presumably in the 7th century by the Benedictines, and passed first to the Cistercians in 1311 and then to the Franciscans in 1578. Although there is little medieval documentation about it, the buildings have great architectural and artistic interest.
We can then continue towards San Giovanni Rotondo and visit the places of Saint Pio of Pietrelcina, commonly known as Padre Pio, who draws faithful from around the world to this town in the Gargano.